About the Frio Pioneer Jail
In 1884, the county built a jail that remained in use until the 1960s. The historic two-story rock building now houses the Frio Pioneer Jail Museum. Downstairs, the five room sheriff’s residence contains artifacts and historic photos. Some relics, such as a 1910 opera house playbill and a 1914 dance card, recall social occasions. Other artifacts, including a “pear burner” used during drought to singe needles off prickly pear cacti, symbolize tough times. Upstairs are four jail cells for men and two for women, one of which stored illegal liquor during Prohibition. The museum hosts an annual Pioneer Day at the old jail and the relocated Frio Town school.
The Frio County Jail Museum if the oldest building in Pearsall Texas. Built in 1884 for $11,000. Style typical of era. Used as jail and jailer's residence until 1967. Second story and part of the first housed jail. Two separate cells were added in 1885 for female or juvenile prisoners or for the insane. For years a well on the premises supplied water. During prohibition in early 20th century, confiscated bootleg liquor was stored by law officers in one of cells. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark -1970